Monday, November 21, 2022

Mornings

Before we had children, we stayed with our nieces on multiple occasions while their parents were out of town. I remember once, unaccustomed to the rush of the morning routine, everyone was ready to load into the car, but I wasn't dressed yet. One of them kindly told me that their mom usually got dressed before she woke them up.  

And, now that I'm a mom getting my own children ready for school, usually I do.  But sometimes I don't.  

I remember hearing young moms in Japan talk about the pressure to be dressed to the nines with makeup on, and having done their laundry & hung it out on the balcony to dry, before walking their preschooler to the bus.  It's all about appearances and reputation and what other people think. A frequent sight in Japan is groups of moms (dressed to the nines) and preschoolers (in amazing uniforms complete with berets) and younger siblings waiting at preschool bus stops.  

I may get dressed before my children get up, but I definitely do not get dressed to the nines.  And, truth be told, many days I have driven them to school in my pajamas.  Key difference between Japan and the USA is that I am hidden in my van.  And my pajamas don't necessarily look like pajamas, especially if I'm wearing a fleece jacket. 

But today I reached a new low. Or, I could choose to put a positive slant on it. :) I made it all the way until the Monday of Thanksgiving week before I dropped them off in my pajamas and full-length robe!  Actually, the teachers in car line might have just thought I had a new jacket.  

But, it was a rough weekend. I'm sick.  And a certain 5 year old woke up at 3:30 AM and again at 5 (when she ate breakfast before going back to sleep ...).  

ZZZZZZZZ......

No comments: