Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Running

I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.
These lines of Eric Liddell, in "Chariots of Fire," haunt me at times.

What is my "running?" What is that thing, which when I do it, I feel His pleasure, and I know, "THIS is why God made me!"

What is yours?

Mine is not running. :-) Nor is it any other form of sport ... or cooking ... or cleaning ... or driving a vehicle (!) ... or parking in reverse :-) ... or growing plants (!) ... or ...

Well, obviously pessimists can determine what theirs is not easier than they can determine what theirs is!

I have some general ideas. And I have the general idea I am not doing much of it in this particular season.

Eric Liddell had a season where he ran... and ran well. But he also had a later season (18 years), during which running was not his primary occupation, although he found time to compete from time to time and in his last two years of life, while in a concentration camp, he organized sports events for the MKs in the camp.

I wonder if he still would have said, during those 18 years in China, that when he ran he felt God's pleasure? I imagine he never lost his love of running, but I cannot imagine that he spent most of those 18 years pining for opportunities to run. Was there something else (his teaching, perhaps?) in which he felt God's pleasure as well, or to a greater degree?

Does our experience of God's pleasure change with time or with the seasons of our lives?

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me of the beauty of my season which I never figured out during my previous season.Now I pray that He gives me a new season sometime and I can enjoy for His glory.