Thursday, July 16, 2009

Today I fly

My belongings are packed and stored away for a year.

My "good-byes" are said.

My heart is full, but raw.

My body is tired from the final push before leaving.

My passport is valid (renewed just before its July 1st expiration).

My alien card is up-to-date.

My re-entry permit is valid.

My seal and bank books are entrusted to a friend to take care of bills and official business.

I have a ticket to fly to the U.S.A. today.

I know yesterday.

I know today.

But I do not know tomorrow.

My hope ~ and really my only comfort each time I cross the ocean between worlds ~ is this:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. ... The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is [His] faithfulness.
That is the truth which I hope to be unpacking long after my suitcases are unpacked on the other side of the ocean.

1 comment:

taylorcrowson said...

I happened here from a repost of your blog that I found at WM's blog "on the edge of ordinary." I then read a few samplings in your archived favorite posts. My husband and I spent two years in Japan as short-term missionaries. (We lived in Tokyo most of that time and also spent a few months in Ebetsu-shi, Hokkaido.) I appreciated the way you described your thoughts/feelings and think it is so interesting that so many things are the same for so many people... And incidentally those things are completely misunderstood/foreign to others. Reading here has made me "homesick."