Thursday, July 9, 2009

Where is home for you?

It happened again yesterday.

My upcoming departure date is a frequent topic of conversation. A teammate asked, "What day do you leave? Where is home?"

The first question was easier. "I leave Thursday."

Then I paused.

"I have a Tennessee driver's license, and I'm registered to vote in County x, but ... my home is in heaven."

The 18-year-old MK sitting across the lunch table from me pumped her head up and down in understanding and agreement.

The 19-year-old short-termer who is finishing up a year of service here before starting college explained that since he lived in one place (his parents' home) before coming to Japan, and will live in another place (a college dorm) after returning from Japan, the changes won't be as pronounced for him, because he's making a fresh start.

I smiled. "A--, I was in your exact shoes 19 years ago, finishing almost a year here, and headed to a new world, college. Your Japan experience will never cease to affect you. It will still be an adjustment for you."

"But I'm going to be living on an international floor," he added with joy.

And we all rejoiced with him and thanked God for this mercy, because, although A--- doesn't fully know it yet, that is where he will feel at home in his new world.

No comments: