Wednesday, August 20, 2025

Cloud of Witnesses, Part 1

I was asked to give a testimony at our church ladies' retreat this past spring.  I chose to look back on God's faithfulness, and it worked out well, as the theme was the "one anothers" of Scripture.  My life has been full of people who have obeyed the one anothers well towards me! 


Testimony at Ladies' Retreat, Part 1


As you look at me, you see me, but I am who I am because of a lot of other people whom God has used in my life. And I want to tell you about some of them.  


Hebrews 12 begins, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that YOU will not grow weary and lose heart.”


That’s how Hebrews chapter 12 begins.  What is the chapter before that about?  In Hebrews 11, we read about Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, the people of Israel, Rahab, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets. Those are some in the great cloud of witnesses who are mentioned in Hebrews 11.  


What about YOUR life? Who is in YOUR great cloud of witnesses?  

No comments: