Two weeks ago, I went to town on a weekday evening, and shopped until way past bedtime for our upcoming "adventure." I had cleaned the fridge, and when I came home, I filled it to the gills.
A few days later, we started our adventure (aka, my new full-time job)! It feels like I spend all day in the kitchen, chopping, cooking, and then washing every. single. pot. and. pan. in my kitchen (multiple times a day)!
We are on a 30-day mission to eliminate certain foods, in order to give an internal reset and then reintroduce them back slowly to see if and how our bodies react. The benefits (even ten days in) are amazing! My cravings for sweet (and salty) snacks are pretty much gone. I have sustained levels of energy, and don't spend the last few hours of the day barely hanging on until bedtime. I have not needed a nap either.
The cost is that basically anything that goes into our mouth has to pass through my cutting board - or at least my crockpot - except for one type of sausage, or fruit that you eat out of hand. Want ketchup for those homemade fries? Make up a jar of it! Want mayonnaise to mix with a can of tuna? Whip up a jar of homemade mayonnaise.
I was pretty intimidated by both of those tasks for the first nine days, not to mention just trying to stay on top of the prep for each upcoming meal. But yesterday, I impersonated Betty Crocker herself, and made ketchup, mayonnaise, a humongous fruit salad, and a 9x13 egg bake that has no cheese or milk in it. Who knows what I'll make today!
1 comment:
Wow! I found that exercise was a great boost to my energy levels when my kids were younger (now too).
Post a Comment