Monday, December 9, 2024

Phones

Jim bought a landline phone set 20 years ago. Two cordless phones. Two bases. One with answering machine controls. 

They died.  After a number of weeks with no landline phone (& wondering what business calls we were missing), I ordered a similar set from Amazon.  

But it had no answering machine ... and we are rarely home to answer calls. 

I don't like series of problems like this. 

Onward, ho! We headed to Tennessee for a quick trip just before Thanksgiving.  Many hands made light work as the contents of the FULL attic filled up three dumpsters.  The attic was swept.  The closets were emptied.  Every floor in the house was swept.  

And all that was left were a few rolls of toilet paper, some soap, and a roll of paper towels in both bathroom, a folder of warranties, and a small box of picture hanging supplies (for picture rails on plaster walls).  

During one of my many walk-throughs, I spied the phones. My parents had a cordless phone set with *6* handheld phones!  We were to remove everything from the house. Should the phone set go to the mission mart or to a dumpster? Aha! "We need a phone, and I know this one works," I thought, and I quickly boxed it up for us!

When I finally set my parents' phone up in our house, I realized there were messages on the answering machine. :) 

After listening to them, I returned two calls. Both callers are talkers.  One is a distant relative and she went on and on about genealogy.  The other is the widow of the county agent.  She now lives with a son in Texas, and we enjoyed a chatty call, though not as long. 

So, if you ever buy a used phone, be sure to listen for any messages. :) 

 

No comments: