Saturday, January 10, 2009

体温計

体温計 tai-on-kei

By itself 体 is pronounced "karada," meaning "body;"

温 is pronounced "nurui," with the "i" written in phonetic script, meaning "lukewarm;"

and 計 is pronounced "hakaru" with the "ru" written in the phonetic script, meaning "to measure".

But, put together into a compound word, it is not pronounced, "karada-nurui-hakaru," but rather "tai-on-kei," meaning that the "karada" becomes "tai," the "nuru(i)" becomes "on," and the "haka(ru)" becomes "kei."

If I see 体温計, the visual images would jump-start my brain to try various pronunciation combinations until my brain and tongue found "tai-on-kei."

If I hear 体温計, I know immediately what it is.

The problem arose when I neither saw the characters written out, nor heard the word pronounced, but was on my own in the drugstore, simply trying to purchase one.

It's not as if I've never purchased one, so I knew it was indeed possible. But no matter how many times I went up and down the aisles, I couldn't find the display. Finally I realized there was no other way but to use words, to ask a clerk ... but how?!?

Swallowing my pride that I'm a semi-educated person, I asked, "Where are the things that measure body temperature?" Obviously she is not accustomed to a language-learning classroom and people using long descriptions rather than the common, concise word, for she paused a second before the lightbulb went on, and (bless her heart) she smiled and said, "Oh! The tai-on-kei. Right over here." And I was able to successfully purchase a thermometer.

No comments: