...I learned from riding the bus.
When riding the bus, one must arrange one's personal schedule to match the bus schedule. The 9.16 bus leaves at 9.16, not 9.17.
When riding the bus, one's whole life is affected, not just the minutes between 9.16 and 9.26. In order to be at the bus stop before 9.16, I must leave my house on time, which means I must put my shoes on on time, which means I must have all my things together on time, and I must be dressed on time, and I must finish eating breakfast on time, and I must get up on time, and I must go to bed on time. When riding the bus, it feels like I'm giving up a lot of other things. It's actually instilling discipline, but I often only see the sacrifice of my self-centered schedule.
When riding the bus, one has to listen. There are lots of announcements on the bus, and it pays to listen to them.
When riding the bus, it's not always comfortable. Many passengers have to stand. Those who sit are either part of a pair scrunched in a 1.5 person seat or have their knees in their chest, while their feet rest on the tire well.
When riding the bus, one has to rely on something other than oneself. One of the announcements reminds passengers (who are standing) to hold on to the metal poles and hanging straps. Not doing so could lead to a grand collision with other passengers inside the bus.
When riding the bus, one has to compensate. When standing on a bus that makes a 90 degree turn, a successful ride is defined by leaning against the way the bus is leaning.
When riding a bus, there is an obvious cost. Driving one's car carries a cost as well, but one does not have to dole it out on every ride. The costs are hidden, not necessarily obvious every time one uses the car.
No comments:
Post a Comment