Thursday, October 13, 2011

Small Town, USA


When we became engaged and my mom realized I would be living in a small town (a village, actually), she expressed delight and reminisced of her happy growing up years in a small town (also a village) in New York State.  As I drove home from the post office and library today, after a year of living here, I pondered the similarities and differences.

Like H-port (my Mom's hometown), everyone gets their mail at the post office.  There is no home delivery.  Unlike H-port in Mom's time, hardly anyone walks to the post office.

Both villages have a library, a fact I know because I checked email at the H'port Library one summer afternoon in '04, and because I am a frequent user of my library card here in Small Town.

For being a small town, I think we have a lot of businesses: consignment shop (mostly housewares), natural foods store, chiropractor, two banks, three hairdressers, an IGA grocery (with good sales!), a restaurant (Main Street Grill, just like in Mitford!), a dairy barn (in summer), a bowling alley (all seasons but summer), a florist, a variety store, two gas stations (both with pizza and deli sandwiches), a farm supply store, the grain elevators, a humongous tractor dealership, a fertilizer and seed company, and some home businesses (like a drapery shop, a nails place, etc.).  Plus the library, elementary school, and five churches. 

No comments: