Today is my three-year anniversary, not with Jim, but with the man whom God used to set me on a path that led me to married life with Jim here in the Midwest.
Three years ago today, I had a meeting at Narita Airport outside Tokyo with a globe-trotting counselor for missionaries.
I wrote here about that meeting. After thirty minutes of discussing the issue that had arisen in my life and which prompted my requesting an appointment [my closest other options for an English-speaking Christian counselor were Hong Kong or Thailand], he asked one off-topic question about my life.
I spent the hour-long train ride home fuming that he would bring up marriage. But God gave me wisdom enough to recognize that red flag in my heart. And He led me to put myself in situations where I would be able to face those issues and grow.
And I went kicking and screaming all. the. way! For months! (Friends and co-workers can testify.)
And so, on many levels, it is a miracle that Jim and I are married, a miracle for which I am thankful!
And if your church supports a globe-trotting counselor for missionaries, it is money well-invested!
This fall there will be a conference of hundreds of pastors and missionaries in Japan. As the Lord provides finances, counselors will be on hand for appointments.
The first time my airport counselor went to Japan, it was to the fall conference. He arrived, saw the schedule of speakers and thought, "Well, if no one signs up to meet with me, I'll get to hear some good speakers."
By the end of the first day, his schedule was COMPLETELY full, including meals, and he promised the organizers that he would return to Japan three times a year. When I met him (in October) he was on his third or fourth trip that year and had one more planned.
PRAY for your missionaries' emotional health!
No comments:
Post a Comment