I am from a white kitchen radio, from Paul Harvey and baking powder biscuits and molasses.
I am from an old, white farmhouse, antiques, creaking wood floors and second-floor registers, allowing both heat and conversations to drift upstairs.I am from dogwood and redbud, boxwood and cedars, irises planted decades ago.
I am from midnight walks at Christmas, cousins coming for long stays, and visitors stopping by unannounced for a meal or two, a night or maybe more.
I am from World Book Encyclopedia, black rotary telephones on a party line, Rural Route 1, a multi-grade schoolroom, and low water pressure when the spring was running dry.
I am from Lessley and Theo, F.T. and Neva. From living by principles and escaping to the North by night or dying by principles and being buried in Camp Chase POW Camp, from the Exchange Place, Blockhouse, and Switzer Hill and Gettysburg.
I am from “children are to be seen and not heard” and “sometimes we have to do things we don’t like doing”.
I am from summer Bible camp, Bible memory contests, Happy Growers, and Mrs. Dibble’s flashcard stories.
I am from funeral home visitations, Sunday afternoon nursing home rounds, and drives in the country.
I am from Desta Kup, Krispy Kreme, a talking Raggedy Ann and Andy alarm clock, and the Cold War.
I am from Sunday dinner, antique goblets and great-grandmother’s silver, picnics in the woods and wildflower hikes.
I'm from East Tennessee, upstate New York, the Scotch-Irish, Sally Lunn bread and persimmon pudding, home-canned green beans and Grandma’s Concord grape jelly.
I am from county courthouse deeds, Cousin Mace Duff Gray’s genealogy ledger, framed tintypes, and Grandma’s black shoes.
As for man, his days are like grass;Thankful for where I am from geographically, but moreso for where and how He has led me these years of life that have been granted me, and mostly for where He is ultimately leading me.
he flourishes like a flower of the field;
for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
and its place knows it no more.
But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him,
and his righteousness to children's children,
to those who keep his covenant
and remember to do his commandments.
The Lord has established his throne in the heavens,
and his kingdom rules over all.
(For background information on "I am from...," see this template.)
No comments:
Post a Comment