Thursday, January 23, 2025

Progress? Maintenance? Survival?

I have a friend who often refers to the fact that some days are progress days, some are maintenance days, and some are survival days.

This very long weekend has felt like maintenance, but we did make some progress on Wednesday. 

I mentioned in my last post that we had a lot of late nights last week.  We all were glad to sleep in on Saturday.  Sunday was a day of worship and rest.  Monday was a day off school for MLK Jr. Day.  Tuesday was a remote-learning day due to dangerously low windchills.  And both children were home from school sick on Wednesday. (BK slept most of Monday, alternated sleeping & being up on Tuesday, and stayed up all day Wednesday, though with a bad cough. LM just had a fever with Tylenol on Tuesday night, so could not go to school Wednesday.) 

Long weekends are usually hard, and I have learned to plan a Monday outing, but I knew everyone would be exhausted and need a rest day this Monday.  

Tuesday morning, though, messed me up.  Remote learning day means Mom is a 1:1 aide for two students.  Plus I had a sick child.  And I had to cook more. :) And wash more dishes. And the washing machine stopped draining on Monday, so I needed to clean it out. 

But we survived on Tuesday. And I cooked. And cooked. And did dishes. And did dishes.  

Wednesday was easier because there were no school assignments, and both children's energy levels matched more, so they could play together.  Everyone was up before 8:30 AM when two other moms came to pray around our kitchen table for Moms in Prayer.  

And then I cooked. :) When Jim came home for lunch, I had to drive 20 miles to a notary & the Fed Ex drop-off. BK got the dishwasher started while I was gone. 

And when I came home BK helped me clean out the washing machine filter.  That was a job!!

Having leftovers for supper meant that I had time to make some progress.  My 3x3 post-it note read: 

  • write a check for lunch money 
  • write a check for activity fee (for band)
  • fill out waivers for youth event this weekend
  • sign an online form
  • print, sign, and email another form
  • print out some info for my mom
  • mail a booklet to my mom
  • mail a card to a friend
I headed to bed Wednesday night with all but the two last items crossed off!!  And, with a running washing machine, I was able to wash & dry two loads before & after supper.  It felt good to finally have a progress day!

No comments: