The other day I caught myself complaining.
Why doesn't that store take American Express?
(But I have a Visa I pulled out instead.)
Why can't all my mugs be as pretty as this one?
(But I have a cupboard full of mugs.)
Why is it so hard to keep our carpet clean?
(But, did you catch that we have a carpet?)
Why is the phone ringing so much?
(But we have a phone, and we have friends, and even the business calls represent God's many gifts.)
Why can't our laundry room be more spacious?
(But we have a laundry room!)
Why does our garage door open randomly?
(But we have a garage ... with a door ... and vehicles to put in the garage ... and electricity.)
After minutes (or hours) of this, I finally heard the Spirit's prompting, reminding me of all the statements in italics above. And I remembered a powerful, little book God used years ago to help transform my thinking on what I deserve.
Have We No Rights? (https://www.gutenberg.org/files/24528/24528-h/24528-h.htm) is a slim volume (now available as a download) by Mabel Williamson, a missionary in China many years ago. While I don't agree with 100% of her conclusions, I do agree wholeheartedly that we must train our minds (and help each other) to think counter-culturally about all these things that our culture (and our own minds) tell us are ours by right.
I do not have a right to a garage, electricity, a vehicle (much less two), a phone, friends, pretty mugs, credit cards, carpet, or anything else except the wrath of God.
But, God, in His rich mercy, does in fact give us so much that we do not deserve, both spiritually and physically.
May my complaining be turned to praise and contentment.
1 comment:
Just wanted to let you know that you need to edit your link. It has blogger.com in front of it so won't work. I figured it out and got to the right place, though. :)
Post a Comment