Today has been a pity party day. Not good! I need to pull "Lies Women Believe" off my shelf and review it.Then I sat in a friend's garage, manning her garage sale while she spent the morning as a teacher's aide. During a lull, I found "Lies Women Believe" on the book table, and started reading it. When sales got brisk again, I returned the book, and later, took a lady's dollar when she bought the book.
The next day, out of my mouth came the words, "That's a lie from the pit," as someone else shared a certain struggle with me.
And then I read here of ten false thought patterns, and could identify with them, as ones that trip me up.
And then on the Desiring God blog, I read about some of the lies women are prone to believe:
"... satisfaction in God himself. God is our portion, our very great reward. No man can satisfy the longing in a woman's heart, ... Misplaced desires set us up for failure in every relationship we have. But a woman in Christ abiding in her union with Him is equipped to eschew independence from man and stay engaged, strongly helping the man, ... secure in her identity in Christ. Such strong women are very good for the Church."I am thankful for a boss who welcomed and encouraged women to be "strong women under authority."
I am thankful for John Piper's Challenge to Women, listing not only 14 challenges, but also challenging women,
"That you not measure your potential by the few roles withheld but by the countless roles offered,"and going on to list more than 85 of those roles that can minister to others.
What roles have you discovered in your search to be a strong woman under authority?
2 comments:
It is so true. I read a book last year called Self Talk, Soul Talk by Jennifer Rothschild. You might have read my review of it on my blog. She talks about the same sorts of things. I'll have to go looking for some of the other resources you mention. I've easily knocked down recently (it hasn't been a very good start to the year), possibly I'm believing some lies!
Oh, your final question - a role I've discovered? Encourager and pressure valve (for my young family) are just two.
Grateful to find this Piper resource. Thank you! :)
Post a Comment