Wednesday, October 17, 2012

God provides

My mother's uncle was a mountain missionary and lived "by faith," a la Hudson Taylor and George Mueller.  I'm not sure what his proof text of living by faith was, but I always assumed it was Habakkuk 2.4 or Hebrews 10.38: "The just shall live by faith."

My understanding of his principle was that he never asked for funds, but asked God in prayer and then told people afterwards of the ways in which God provided.  Since that was pretty much the opposite of my fund-raising experience as a missionary, I've pondered it quite a bit.

Two thoughts:  One, I tend to think that living by faith in those two verses has very little to do with money but everything to do with trusting God that the blood of Jesus Christ on the cross covers my not-so-nice words spoken to my husband this morning (along with a host of other sins of both omission and commission!).  Two, whether one is a mountain missionary depending on God to supply one's every financial provision or one is a missionary who engages in active fund-raising or even if one has a steady job with a good employer, ALL of God's people are actually dependent on God for ALL that we have - our life, our breath, AND our finances.

My mother's uncle periodically published little booklets that recounted the details of God's provision.  Most of the entries went like this:
A bill for $10.38 was due Tuesday. We prayed and prayed. In the mail Tuesday morning we received three checks that totaled $10.38 and we were able to pay the bill.

That is an amazing story of God's perfect provision, to be sure, but I am afraid that sometimes we who do not live that lifestyle forget that God is doing just the same for us, as His child.  He is providing so that we can pay our bills, too, maybe not in as dramatic a fashion. But He still deserves glory and praise for caring for our every need.

For most of us, most of the time, He provides by a regular paycheck, so the amount doesn't really surprise us or even alert us to His provision.  Farmers do not receive a weekly or even monthly paycheck, so I have the privilege of being on higher alert to His provision.

Recently we had a seven-month long exchange with Jim's insurance company, in which we appealed their decision not to cover a certain claim.  On the very day in early September that I learned I would be having surgery a few days later, Jim's insurance company called to say that they had approved our appeal and would be covering the claim.  The amount of Jim's claim should equal almost exactly our portion of my surgery bill!  

He provides!   He cares!   He takes care of our every need!

   ... he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. 

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I love these kinds of stories! They increase my faith in the goodness and provision of God. And I totally believe in writing them down, to boost my faith when times get hard, and for future generations to have a record of His faithfulness. (Though I've been slacking in writing things down. *sigh*)
Thanks for the encouragement today!