Saturday, May 25, 2013

7 a day challenge

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." 
 ~ William Morris

Many people have read Jen Hatmaker's best-seller, 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Success, a "true story of how Jen took seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence."

Currently popular blogger, Money Saving Mom, is hosting a de-cluttering challenge, and posting a picture everyday of seven items she is removing from her home.

A few friends and I have taken the challenge!  And it is shocking how easy it is to find seven items every day! 

We had a couple sets of overnight house guests earlier in the month.  Preparing for them motivated me to do some hidden cleaning in closets and drawers, unearthing many, many items for my garage sale pile.

A friend has invited me to participate in her garage sale.  Whether I do so, or whether my pile gets dropped off at the city mission thrift store, in either case, all those items will be out of our house! 

Even though I had accumulated a couple bins for my friend's garage sale before starting the 7 a day challenge, I am not counting those items, but am fully taking the challenge to find seven new items each day. 

More than seven items for May 22nd:

a bud vase, a votive vase, a pitcher, a set of candlesticks, a set of felt napkin rings, & a set of dishes

Three observations so far:
  • I keep things I don't need.
  • I keep things I haven't used in years.
  • Ridding our home of seven items a day will only make a dent if we are not adding new items in at the same rate.  
So, the bigger task is to identify where new items come from.  Gifts, good deals at garage sales & thrift stores (!), impulse purchases & the idea that surely I can use this item, and even the containers that our food comes in and the idea of not wanting anything to go to waste.  (But how many empty peanut butter jars can one household use?!?)

Are you taking the seven a day challenge?  How do you nip clutter in the bud?

No comments: