Moms are pros at eating and driving. While I have eaten plenty of meals on the road the past few years, this is one of my favorite eating-on-the-go stories. Enjoy!
::from the archives::
I quickly gather my bags, erase the chalkboard, bow and apologize for
leaving, and walk toward the classroom door, after our hour of Bible
study (an add-on to their hour English class and thirty minute Bible
study with a different teacher).
I put one hand on the doorknob, and, with the other, reach for the object a lady at the end of the table is offering me.
I feel the Saran-wrap around it, and, for the moment, drop it down into a totebag.
Taking
inventory of the shoe shelves in the foyer, I find my shoes, drop them
onto the floor, and slip my feet in, while walking out the door.
If
I have a moment, I drop by the Education Building next door, doing the
unthinkable and leaving my shoes right where I step out of them, rather
than taking time to properly set them on one of the shoe shelves.
The
teachers from the Christian school are finishing up their lunch break.
We can exchange an amazing bit of information in five minutes, and go
from laughing to almost crying, in addition to trying to solve the
problems of the team, and updating each other on all the schedule
changes we know of.
I have to keep an eye on the clock to make sure I exit the building before recess is over, or else I cannot make my way out the door while the entire student body is rushing in. Plus my shoes get trampled in the process.
Keys in the ignition, mileage recorded, seat belt on, now I can start the engine. Wait, where is the Saran-wrap-covered item?
Peeling
back the wrapper with one hand, I pull out of the parking space, and
navigate the obstacle course known as a road. The first half of the
drive takes incredible observation skills just to stay within the narrow
confines and avoid concrete block walls, cars parked in the road,
concrete telephone poles also in the road, elderly people sauntering
along also in the road, etc.
So I eat mindlessly those first few
kilometers. When I stop to turn onto a somewhat major road, I take
time to look down and see what is stuffed in the center of the rice ball
this week.
Today's rice ball was filled with some type of
beans, some sort of mushrooms, and mashed pickled plums ... a delicious
lunch on-the-go ... and prepared with love by a dear lady in the church!
No comments:
Post a Comment