Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Summer Reading List

Back in our commuting days, LG binge-listened to The Sugar Creek Gang books on Audible.  This morning, for the first time in months, he listened to one of them again.  When we heard the preface mentions that there are 36 books in the series, we remembered that only 18 are available as audio books. So... books 19-36 are now on our summer reading list. :) 

Sonlight Curriculum just released their summer book lists (see here).  Last year on a whim, I purchased the 2020 Elementary Boys' Summer Reading Package. It was a bigger win than I expected!  Bayberrry Island is on the shelf to be picked up again at some point in the future, but the other three have been read multiple times. And more importantly, they have been picked up by LG at random times to read on his own!

The website & catalog state: "The boy books tend to have male main characters, with plots that emphasize adventure and danger, with pranks, humor and hijinks for good measure."  "Four books with less text per page, but dramatic and exciting plots for early readers." Last year's titles were:

(Note that although "The Bad Guys" was a big hit, future books in that series are not ones I would recommend.) 

LM and I have just started reading "Little Pilgrim's Big Journey." It's definitely more than I normally pay for books, much less children's books, but it is LOVELY! And it's on her level (and mine, I must admit).  I have never read Pilgrim's Progress, but am thoroughly enjoying this!

What books or series or authors are on your summer reading list? 

No comments: