Saturday, December 12, 2009

At the airport

Narita Airport, my home away from home, has been the site of many meetings over the years... some planned and some not.

Twice I have met my missionaries-in-Japan cousin and his family there to say "good-bye" to one of their sons who was going to the States for school.

I have met an itinerant counselor for missionaries there, since it was a convenient spot for an appointment.

I had an encouraging conversation there one day with a colleague from the States as he was waiting for a flight out.

Once, upon entering from the parking garage to pick up a visitor from NYC, I heard someone call out, "Hello, J- N-!" It was a missionary from several hours away, there to pick up his brother-in-law who had a layover on an Asian business trip.

Another time, while picking up a co-worker returning from the U.S.A., I ran into a European friend I rarely see, but had just seen a few days previously. She was there to pick up a visitor from the States.

This fall, I continued my airport meeting habit, but this time NOT at Narita, rather at the local tiny airport, the type of airport where you don't need to set up a meeting point, because you can see the whole place from wherever you are. :-)

I checked in very early for my flight, but did not go through security. Teammates from Japan, who were driving down the interstate, pulled off at the exit, drove three miles, and came into the lobby, where we spent an hour catching up on the last year of our lives.

I love airports! and the people I meet there!

No comments: