Friday, May 18, 2012

Japan Connections

I keep up with Japan as best I can.  I read missionary blogs.  I have news of Japan in my Facebook feed.  We receive several missionary's prayer letters and e-mail updates.

In the past few weeks, though, I have been happy to feel a closer connection.

"I'm leading a short-term team to Japan. What are some basics you think I should cover in our pre-departure orientation?"

(That led to a two-hour phone conversation and hopefully a more equipped team?)

"A co-worker is visiting Japan.  What should he take as a gift for his host?"

(Something regional would be good.)

"I'm headed to Japan as a missionary. What kind of asthma medicine is available in Japan?"

("Hi, I'm J-, a former missionary to Japan, and I have asthma."  That led to a back-and-forth email exchange about lots of specifics.)

"We had a Japanese student live with us for a year 30 years ago.  This past Christmas we learned that her husband is a believer, but she shows no interest."

(I love talking with people who have someone they love in Japan.)

"We are headed back to Japan long-term and would love to get together and hear your story."

(Dinner invitation next week!  We would love to hear their story, too!)


No comments: