Saturday, August 17, 2013

When life hands you lemons ...

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade," the saying goes. 

Our guest room is not really a "lemon," for it is a great blessing to have a guest room and to welcome guests for overnight stays, but it is blue (my least favorite decorating color) and the walls are liberally covered with not only a wallpaper border but also many other wallpaper-type sticky decorations, as you can see.  :)

A little boy's dreamy room ~ complete with clouds, moons, and stars!

No doubt the original owners put a lot of time and thought into it.  I found matching lamps in the basement, and added gold shades found at Tuesday Morning.  Then I thought the least we could do was to have some sort of window treatment, and in a, "Hurry! Company is coming tomorrow!" moment, I found these gold-ish ones at Wal-mart, with the thought that it was a temporary arrangement, so I did not want to spend much money. (They are powerful sun-blockers, and I highly recommend them.)

I collected every knick-knack I had with even a hint of blue to display on the dresser, and hung a collection of Japan-related items (with brown tones) and then continued the gold-color theme with a small mirror and 3 brass plates I picked up at a $1 per bag church basement sale.

I was trying to tone down the blue...  Not sure I reached that goal, but, oh well!

After a successful master bedroom makeover (achieved by the addition of coordinating throw pillows, bed runner, and valances), I set out to try to tie the guest room together, too.

Once more, the before picture:
Before

and the after picture:
After

A framed card from Japan, carrying on the blue & gold theme

Blue (&gold) knick-knacks

Valance

Throw pillows

Bed runner (or bed scarf)

another view

Our B&B is always taking reservations!  Let us know when you are coming!

No comments: