Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Do geese honk?

Now that I'm back in the world of ESL for a couple hours a week, my use of the English language is questioned, and I sometimes second-guess myself. 

When I taught multiple English conversation classes every week, I kept a running list of questions to ask other native speakers, and was quick to say to my students, "I'll get back to you on that."  At the time, I thought I was just losing my English, due to living outside of a native-speaking country.

This morning after breakfast, we heard one of the sounds of fall - geese honking.  But after I mentioned it, I got to wondering, "Do they honk?"  (Thank goodness for Google!  Yes, they do!)

A week or so ago, my ESL student was describing being in Chicago the day before the Chicago marathon.  I re-stated her explanation: "Security was tight."  But "tight" is not a direct translation of the Japanese word she was trying to communicate, so naturally she questioned me (as I would have done in the same situation).

And then I was left wondering, "Do we really say, 'Security was tight?'"  Out came my little notepad, and once again I have started keeping a running list of questions to research.  Once again, Google to the rescue.  Yes, we do say, "Security was tight."  : )

No comments: