Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Only in lovingkindness and tender mercy

"My path has been rough; but I have not had one trial which my heavenly Father could, in faithfulness, have spared me. He has dealt with me only in lovingkindness and tender mercy. I have not a doubt now, I shall see hereafter, that all His dealings with me have been for my good." 

Susan Huntington, 1791-1823, suffered from lifelong physical afflictions.

"In 1817 she lost both of her parents only months apart; in 1819 her husband died when she was eight months pregnant; and in the fall of 1821, two of her children died. In all these afflictions her suffering was intense, and she felt as if her feeble frame could not sustain her. But her merciful Father, who taught her that her strength was made perfect in weakness, upheld her, and she looked to Him as her only portion in life." 


From: Seasons of the Heart: A Year of Devotions from One Generation of Women to Another; Reformation Heritage Books

No comments: