How long does it take to establish a tradition? About 80 years? That's how long my mother-in-law has been visiting this lake in the summer. 50-some years? That's how long Jim has been visiting this lake in the summer. 8 years? That's how many years I have visited this lake (including a day trip on our second date). 3 years? That's how long Little Guy has been going to this lake. We are very fortunate to be able to spend 4 or 5 weekends near there each summer.
We quickly established our traditions as a couple ... eat at this restaurant, make sure we visit the library and sit and read magazines looking out the windows at the lake, watch the parade, take books to read, walk on this trail, etc.
But traditions changed when our family became a party of three. The summer that LG was an infant, we soldiered on, trying to do our regular activities at the lake. The summer he was toddling about (last summer), we learned we needed to change a few things and add a new tradition so that our time there could be restful for me.
So, now when we are there, I sneak out of the house around 7 AM, before anyone else is up, and I drive ten minutes down this road (quite a contrast to the flatland with straight roads here).
And I go to this award-winning locally-owned coffee shop in a village of 1500, and order the biggest cup of the strongest tea they have (China Breakfast) and a scrumptious pastry. And I sit with a pen and paper and book. And I think. And I have alone time. And I recharge my introvert batteries. And I relish in it all! And, two hours later, I return to the house, filled up and ready to love my people.
No comments:
Post a Comment