Thursday, July 28, 2016

Allergy Shots - Maintenance

I started allergy shots this spring. (See Ducks in a Row.)

There are 6 concentrations, starting at 1:100,000 and going to 1:1.

Within each concentration, injections are usually administered six times (in increasing doses).  That translates to 36 visits to reach maintenance.

I have four vials of serum, meaning that each time I get an injection, I actually get FOUR shots (two in each arm).  So, that is 144 injections before reaching maintenance.

In the build-up phase, I am to go weekly (which can be 2-9 days apart). I try to go twice a week.

Ideally, I would reach the highest dose (0.5 ml I think) of the highest concentration (1:1) and then move to maintenance (whatever that means, but at the very least it means every 2 or 3 or 4 weeks- hurray!).

In reality, I'm stuck at the 1:10 concentration, midway through (at the 0.2 ml dose).  The welts on my arm at the injection sites were too big.  So, my allergist has me taking the 0.2 ml dose (x4) every 10-17 days ... until the first frost.

After the first frost (when the pollen is not out), we'll resume the build-up phase.  So, technically I'm not in maintenance; I'm just on hold.

I know people who have taken them weekly for years.  I hope I don't have to.  I'm already glad for the reprieve to 10-17 days!

Apparently, we wait 2-3 years until I am re-tested for allergies to see if they are beneficial.

We pray that they are!!!

No comments: