Saturday, July 16, 2016

Question from a culture-learner

When in Japan, I fielded questions (sometimes rather humorous ones, but that's a story for another day).  Even after being back in the States several years, I received an email from someone who found my blog through a comment I left on his relative's blog about life in a different foreign country.  He wrote:

Thinking back to when you first arrived in Japan - do you remember any really good culture learning tools, or any tips for learning the language?  I'm definitely in a foreign world - and using all of my spare time to study the language and culture!!!  Learning comes slowly . . . .


It's always exciting to learn of Christ-followers who are living in Japan!  As I'm sure you're discovering, just your presence there has potential to be a huge witness. 

Culture learning tips... Hmmm... One good tip is asking questions, while remembering that a rural Jpse might give a different answer from an urban Jpse, older vs. younger, male vs. female, etc.  So ask the same questions of lots of people.  As expats we're prone to ask fellow expats, but I think it helps to also ask Jpse people. 

Over the years I enjoyed (to varying degrees) these books.

Language learning... listen, listen, listen. If you listen long enough, when you speak, you'll sound like a native (that's how babies talk like native speakers).  When you have opportunities to sit through long, boring meetings, do so if possible. Even if you're not sure what you're hearing, you are hearing tones and cadence.  Or listen to NHK radio.  Or consider going to prayer meeting even if you just listen. 

My next piece of advice seems contradictory ... speak, speak, speak.  Don't let perfectionism or the fear of making mistakes keep you from opening your mouth. Learning a language requires a million mistakes, so start making them! :) 

There are a plethora of language learning tools out there.  Over the years I had many one-on-one tutors, but they all were used to working with missionaries.  One of the best things I did was go to the my city's International Office and sign up for a weekly tutor. It was a free service w/ volunteer tutors.  Many were retired men or women, but I was matched with a single lady my age, and we really connected.  She didn't know that many missionaries settle in terms of language skills, and so she pushed me to speak Jpse like Jpse do.  She used a common moral & ethics (Confucian) textbook and we went painstakingly through that elementary school textbook. Another benefit is that she knew no Christians. I had a great opportunity to be salt and light. 

I'm not up on the current apps, websites and other techie ways to learn/survive in Japan, but I'm sure there are many out there.  I applaud your efforts to work at language learning.  Sometimes short-term missionaries don't even try, b/c "I can't be fluent in a year or two." That is self-defeating, and you'd be surprised how much you really can learn if you put your heart into it.  Good for you! 

How about setting goals for yourself?  I'm not sure how much you're doing in worship in Jpse now, but these are some examples of goals:

  • to pray the offering prayer in Japanese
  • to give your testimony in Japanese
  • to give an announcement in Japanese
  • to memorize verses in Japanese
  • to memorize the Lord's prayer, etc.

If you wait til you're fluent to do these things, you'll never feel competent/confident, but if you start doing more than you think you can ...!  My first Bible study was almost comical. We had a Bible study book in Jpse and English. I'd say, "A-san, can you read question one?"  "Okay, what do you think the answer is?"  "B-san, can you read question two?"  And all the while, I was praying nothing heretical was going on. I know I didn't understand even half of what they were saying. But they were patient, and re-stated things in simple ways.  And eventually I grew. 

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with these thoughts.  You are correct that learning comes slowly. And, I noticed, that learning was often delayed.  I did a couple intensive summer language study programs.  Both times, I didn't realize I was progressing, for there was a lag time.  But several months later, I had a real jump in my language ability.  So, keep at it, even tho' it's hard when you don't see progress.  And pray!  And ask others to pray for your perseverance & encouragement and progress in it.  

No comments: