Starting School:
Before Little Guy started school last year, a friend loaned me the book she made for her little guy before he started school.
The book consisted of a series of photographs she took of her son on the day they visited the school: kissing mom good-bye at drop-off, walking in the front door, getting on the elevator, hanging up his backpack, saying the pledge, etc, all the way through to waiting on the bench in the lobby until his mom pulled up for pickup at the end of the day.
The photos were in an old-school 24-photo vinyl photo album with no captions.
Little Guy and I toured the school and staged similar photos, I got them printed, and put them in an album, and we read it over and over and over again. "Little Guy goes to School," we call it, and he still likes to read it! For a 3 1/2 year old who had been with mom almost 24/7, he made an amazing transition to all-day school 3 days/ week, in part due to our book (and prayer!!).
Eye doctor & dentist:
I have purchased (from Teachers Pay Teachers) experience books for the eye doctor and dentist, which I had printed on cardstock at Office Depot. After I laminate them, I'll have OD bind them.
Sports:
While I didn't make a social story for swim lessons, I found some good ones that can be read online. I'm kicking myself (pun intended) that I didn't make one for soccer lessons.
Current problem:
Earlier this week, when Little Miss successfully pulled out one of Little Guy's hearing aids (after weeks of attempting), I emailed his team at school for tips. Surely LG isn't the first HA-user to have a younger sibling wanting to pull one out?!? Part of the issue is that LG never moves away when she goes for the grab. So, I also wanted to work on advocacy skills with him (something his school is very good at doing).
Immediately, one member of his team emailed back suggesting that the school make two experience books: one from LM's perspective to help her, and one from LG's perspective to help him!
She gave me a list of photos to take (the two of them playing happily side by side, LM reaching for a HA & LG frowning, LG giving her a toy to play with and LG smiling, etc.) and asked what language I want LG to use in that instance.
I can't wait to read them each their experience book!!
Have you ever used social stories?
Resources for you:
If you scroll down on this page, this blogger has suggestions about social stories. (There are several examples on her blog, too.)
No comments:
Post a Comment