Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Christmas gifts (& birthday, too)

Have you done your Christmas shopping? 

I heard a lady on a podcast say she has finished hers. 

I listened to a parody video by the Holderness Family, recommending we start now because of shipping delays. 

I read the comments of people suggesting we shop local instead. 

I depend on ordering online ... in November!

Maybe this should be the year of homemade Christmas presents. :) 

On a related note, LG & LM usually celebrate their winter birthdays at Christmas, with both sides of our family.  So that means Christmas presents + birthday presents from my side and then Christmas presents + birthday presents from Jim's side. And, yes, that can be too much! 

I'd really like to limit the presents this year, but I'm not sure how.  I could list many reasons, but the #1 reason (that impacts our daily life) is that they are not capable yet of maintaining so much stuff.  The best solution I've heard is to have them go through their toys and donate, but they are VERY attached to them.  Yet it's hard for 4 & 7 year olds to comprehend, "If we can't donate some of your toys, you will not receive any new toys." The thought of receiving money for swim lessons or summer camp is not enticing to a child. ;)

So, I'm open to suggestions. What would you do?

No comments: