One day when LG was 11 months old, a mom I had never met came and spent the morning with me (& LG). Her teenaged daughter had also started wearing hearing aids as a baby. She gave me so much encouragement!
And she said, "Whenever I see a child with hearing aids in a store or a restaurant, I always tell them I like their hearing aids."
This weekend we were in Wisconsin, at a restaurant, and I looked at the next table and saw a 6 or 7 year old boy with cochlear implants. It seemed so normal to me, that it took awhile to realize he wasn't a boy I know from LG's school.
And now I am that mom. As we left, I stopped by their table, and said, "I like your implants!" And his dad eagerly told me how old he was when he was implanted, what state they are from, and what major city they travel to (85 miles from their home) to see a pediatric ENT and pediatric hearing clinic.
They are my tribe, and I am so excited for that little boy and his family and that he has access to sound!
No comments:
Post a Comment