Tuesday, March 19, 2024

On reading

The quickest way I have found in this season to "read" books is ... to search for a podcast interview with the author. 

Case in point: Today I received an email from New Growth Press [side note: that is how I browse new books in this era of no more Christian bookstores ~ sign up for email lists from lots of publishers].  The email announced a new book: Transformative Friendships: 7 Questions to Deepen Any Relationship.

The title reminded me of another great book (The Six Conversations: Pathways to Connecting in an Age of Isolation and Incivility) and I would love to buy this one. But there are two problems.  One, I have too many books I haven't finished, and I am trying not to buy any more books. 

So, I searched for a podcast interview with the author, and in a millisecond, Google provided me with a 39-minute podcast about the book.  In less than 40 minutes I felt like I had had a conversation with the author, and decided that that was sufficient for my understanding of the main points of the book.  

Now to read the real books that are on my kitchen table ... God Spoke Tibetan and Boundaries for Your Soul.

 

No comments: