Tuesday, June 4, 2013

渋々 - On language learning

I'm afraid my Japanese language ability is declining at a rapid speed.  While I was in Japan, even if I did nothing to study, I had lots of environmental stimulation that kept me learning.

Living here, if I don't make a concerted effort to study, I will not be exposed to any spoken or written Japanese.

Since I tend to respond better to real life language (rather than textbook language), sometimes I listen to a Japanese podcast.  (But those tend to be sermons or Bible-language.)

The other day I realized that Facebook is a good way to keep learning.  Usually I can follow the meaning of my Japanese friends' posts, but sometimes I'm lost.  That's when I turn to Jim Breen, and copy and paste and hit "translate."

Recently a friend started her post with the word, "渋々." 

Hmmm.  I recognized the first character, because it is also the first in the name of a major train station in Tokyo - Shibuya. 

The word, "渋々," is pronounced "shibu-shibu" and means reluctantly or unwillingly.

And that was my new word for the day week month year (?!).

No comments: