Today marks 6 months since my surgery.
The first day, first week, and first month went really well. From the 2.5 month mark to 5 months seemed interminable and was just. plain. HARD.
This past month has been better physically ~ partly (or maybe mostly) because I called the nurse and went in for a follow-up to figure out the root of some pain, which thankfully is mostly gone now (Here's to Metamucil!). Obviously, in many ways, my body will never be the same.
The emotional healing process seems harder than the physical healing process. Thankfully I had already done a lot of grieving before surgery. But hormones can really throw one for a loop! And being sidelined from normal activities was depressing. Apparently I don't do waiting well.
"They" say it takes 6 months to heal 80% and a full year to get back to normal. And a caring lady at church reinforced that to me in no uncertain terms before I had my surgery. She was firm in warning me not to try to do too much, too. And I'm grateful for her warnings.
I'm definitely not 100% yet, but I'd guess the 80% figure isn't too far off. Shortly before the discovery that led to my surgery, I had started the Couch to 5K program. Pain before surgery halted my progress. Pain after surgery halted my starting up again.
The nurse practitioner agreed that once I'm healed, I should be able to do any exercise (well, not magically be able to do things I couldn't do before!), and that this period of holding off on strenuous exercise is just par for the course as I heal.
So, there is much hope for healing, getting back to normal, and resuming life as I once knew it.
If you or anyone you know has to have a hysterectomy, please tell them about the HysterSisters website (it was my sanity in those early weeks post-op). If you want any other tips about encouraging a friend who has had this surgery, I'm happy to share from my experience.
Now, how shall I celebrate 6 months?! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment