Almost 4 years ago I landed in the USA with no keys and no cell phone. My parents graciously loaned me one of theirs until I could figure out what to do.
Figuring it out was not that easy.
I had come to the USA for one year, but the cell phone companies only had 2-year contracts.
My cell phone plan in Japan came with 30 minutes of talk time per month (and no free nights or weekends). I think the plans in the USA started at 400 minutes (plus free nights and weekends).
I didn't know what was considered average cell phone use here, nor could I predict what my usage would be.
To say I was confused would be an understatement. Eventually, with much frustration, I signed a contract for two years, prepared to pay the (steep) penalty, and with an option to change the terms of my contract at any point (i.e., more or less minutes, but always still in contract).
It worked out, but not without much stress.
A few months ago, I upgraded my phone (from the free-in-2009, senior citizens' flip phone). I had never upgraded my phone before. I felt very American and enculturated to casually walk in to the cell phone store and without thinking about it, sign up for another 2-year contract.
While I did so casually, I was constantly aware that it's never been easy like this for me before, and it isn't easy for people just visiting the USA (even for a year).
When the clerk returned from the back room, where she transferred my contacts from my old phone to my new phone (--- again, something I had never experienced!), she informed me that my new phone doesn't have a place to hang my strap.
:)
I've never seen an American with a strap on their phone, but since my 2009 model had a place for one, I hung a strap (of Mount Fuji) from my Japanese phone, and have carried around a little bit of Japan with me these past few years.
Sayonara、携帯ストラップ! (Farewell, cell phone strap!)
No comments:
Post a Comment