Saturday, November 23, 2013

The mail

From making sure I pick it up at the post office during the limited hours to the never-ending dilemma of what to do with the piles of mail that quickly accumulate, it's a daily (well, six-days-a-week) chore.
I try to open it on my kitchen island, with my computer at hand, and trash can at the ready. 

All the envelopes & junk mail go straight in the trash.  Junk mail catalogs lead me straight to the company's website, where I immediately contact customer service to have our name removed from their list.  (Unfortunately, the same goes for unsolicited fundraising letters from Christian ministries, that purchased our address from another organization.)

Any catalogs or home magazines that are of no interest to Jim go into my pile in a corner of the living room.

Bills to be paid go directly behind the pencil case, standing up along the back of the kitchen counter.

That leaves the Wall Street Journal, any ads, the farm magazine du jour, and any personal mail on the corner of the kitchen island, the spot where Jim immediately looks upon returning home to see if I've left any telephone messages for him. 

The trick in our home (as I predict it may be in yours, as well) is removing that pile on the corner of the island before the next day's mail doubles the stack! 

No comments: