Saturday, August 25, 2018

Our week

Our week is best summed up by saying that Little Miss is 2.5 hours into what will hopefully be a 3-3.5 hour nap today, after a week of 0-30 minute naps. :( It's Saturday Nap Day!!

Little Guy has helped me make "protein waffles" almost every day this week!  We work hard to get enough protein, so this is wonderful!



School buses, combines, and pumpkin trucks! Oh, my! Our daily commute has proven that it is fall!  Soon we'll be leaving home in plenty of time to get stuck behind slow-moving combines. :) (So far, we've only seen them in farmyards, as they're being prepped for harvest.)

Speaking of our daily commute, we are DAILY thankful for the Godsend of our friend who drives Little Guy halfway each day to school (65 miles one-way 5 days/week).  I made the full trip one day this week, so I could attend my monthly meeting with his classroom teacher & main speech therapist.  Since I was in town, I also observed class for an hour.  (Part of my responsibility is to observe class & therapy x times a term.)  I could watch his teacher for hours.  She is masterful!

And I love her approach to homework.  It's not primarily educational; it's primarily to build connections between parent and child, e.g., "Today we sampled five different drinks.  Color these two glasses to show the two drinks you liked most. Have a parent write down what each one is."

Some of the students are weaker in pre-reading skills or fine motor skills, etc.  She doesn't push, for she doesn't want them to hate that topic.  But she incorporates reading, writing, math, and fine motor all day long.  For the hour-long sampling of five drinks, they added "3 drinks that are already made" and "2 drinks we have to mix," to make "5 drinks total," each child wrote their name on a post-it to put on the graph, each child squeezed chocolate syrup into their jar of milk, shook the jar (with lid on), tried to unscrew the apple cider lid, shook the apple cider, etc.  Unknowingly they worked on lots of skills!

Monday, in between carpool drop-off and pick-up, we went the opposite direction to meet friends we hadn't seen in 5 years and who were driving through!

Tuesday, in between carpool drop-off and pick-up, Little Miss and I sat in the Honda dealership, and then had a few hours at home.

Wednesday, in between carpool drop-off and pick-up, LM was with a sitter for 2 hours while I had an appointment in the city.  In the afternoon I was thrilled for our Moms in Prayer group to start back up!

Thursday, there was no carpool drop-off and pick-up, because I drove LG and spent the day 65 miles from home. Thankfully, LM did not have to go with me, but had a very fun day elsewhere ... so fun that she did not nap!

Friday, in between carpool drop-off and pick-up, LM and I made our weekly nursing home visit to see Grandma, and, although we were home for a couple hours, LM had another no-nap day (except for 20-30 minutes in the car). 

The days fly by!  And if you have Bible study one morning, play group one morning, Grandma one morning, the week is full!  Add in almost weekly "extras," such as every 3-4 weeks allergy shots, (late) 18 month well check, annual mammogram, etc., and it's hard to fit in the "want to's" like library story hour, park exploration, or how about down time at home?!?!


No comments: