Friday, April 10, 2020

Four weeks

Today marks four weeks that the children and I have not gone in another building (except for my infusion ... and now I remember that I went in our village library on March 14th).  Jim goes to the farm regularly and has had to go in some farm stores.  He picks up mail at the post office, and had to go in a bank once.

I don't have any deep thoughts.  I feel like I'm in the numb stage.  Our church bought a subscription to Right Now Media, and I reach a point almost every afternoon when I log in and let them watch ... Boz, Veggie Tales, Penguins 1-2-3 ... while I go in another room and veg.

Early on we were following a few expats in China.  One family had 40 days of lockdown.  Another family had 76 days of quarantine (51 of which were on lockdown).  Jim and I kept remarking, "Can you imagine?"  Well, it's a lot easier to imagine now, isn't it? 

We have so much to be thankful for, though honestly I'd be more thankful if a certain 3 year old girl took naps! ;)

We've done puzzles. We've read a few of the Penny books by Carolyn Haywood and are on book 2 of The Grandma's Attic series.  The look of *sheer delight* on a certain 6 year old's face when I finish a chapter and suggest we read the next one is a precious, precious sight!

We've worked on Little Miss's 1000 Books Before Kindergarten (she is woefully behind on her list, compared to where Little Guy was at this age).  We've attended 13 Zoom classes each week, and today added Zoom speech therapy for LM and learned that we'll soon be able to start Zoom occupational therapy, although I can't even imagine how that will go?!

We've pulled out the play house tent that I had stashed away for a rainy day, the children have found a "secret hideout" under the pine trees, LM now has her own balance bike and enjoys riding it all over the back yard. 

We've made banana bread and pb&j cookies and eaten too many snacks, and I have cooked and cooked and cooked. 

The highlight for me so far has been participating in a Porch Portrait! If you know us in real life and want to see one, email me and I'll send you a photo.  A local photographer is participating in the porch portraits being taken all over the U.S.A., standing on the sidewalk and photographing families on their porch. 

I had already washed some windows, but I took time to wipe down all the porch railings & posts and clean the porch a little.  It was fun to coordinate outfits (without being able to buy even a new accessory to tie it all together), get dressed from head to toe (except LM's shoes; she was barefoot!), and even put on makeup!  It was the first day of planting, so it turned into a Mommy & me session, but that is special, too. 

How are you surviving?

No comments: