I brought the fall books up from the basement. It gives me more pleasure than it should to switch out our seasonal books. :) Apples, Pumpkins, Leaves, and Pilgrims ~ Little Miss is having so much fun identifying objects, especially the pictures of hay rides to the apple orchard, since we just went on a hayride (or, as it's called here, a hayrack ride) last week (although not at an apple orchard).
Of course, her definition of fun is to sit by the bookshelves and empty them onto the floor. I guess it's a good thing that the public library is still basically closed?
We just started another read-aloud: "Summer of the Woods." The cover says "Book 1," so I think we're set for awhile. :)
Little Guy continues to listen to the unabridged 9 or 10 hour audio version of "Anne of Avonlea" on Librivox, after having listened to the 10 or 11 hour version of "Anne of Green Gables" this summer. We can't get in the van without his asking, "Can I listen to my book?" He also persists in asking every time we sit down for a meal (!). Unlike some of the audio books he listens to, I don't mind hearing this one, so we often skip bluetoothing it to his hearing aids, so I can listen also.
His home Epic! account regularly emails me that he "read" 3-8 books the previous day. (He always has Epic! read it aloud to him, but still.)
And one day his voracious appetite for books will translate into a desire and confidence (and speed) to read to himself. I think, given the "big kid" books he's used to and the speed at which Mom and an audio book can read, he's reticent to read to himself for pleasure until he can read similar books at the same speed. Why read Dick & Jane if you can listen to Anne of Avonlea?!
No comments:
Post a Comment