I wrote recently about listening to "Labrador Morning," and I have continued thinking about why I enjoy it (and "Newfoundland Morning" and "St. John's Morning Show") so much.
One of our assistant pastors mentioned Sunday that short-term missions is good because observation (of life & ministry elsewhere) informs & motivates our involvement. He was speaking specifically of prayer.
Learning about daily life in another place through these podcasts is a (listening) observation of life in another place, and I wonder, "What is the state of God's Kingdom in Newfoundland & Labrador?" We know Grenfell had a great ministry there, but what remains and what is it like today? I don't know yet, but my curiosity is up.
On Valentine's Day, they interviewed couples, and one long-married & really fun-seeming couple spoke of meeting at church. They were a winsome testimony at least to being church-going but also possibly to knowing the Lord. Later in the interview they mentioned the death of their 18 year old son some years back. I think a random person listening (like me) would think, "Wow! Their faith has really helped them!"
In another episode about war brides from Europe after the World Wars, a man told of his ?great-grandmother who arrived in Newfoundland & Labrador in 1919 I think, and lived with her husband in small settlements of 4-5 families. He spoke of how the only medical care was what Grenfell was providing. Something I had only read about was connected to a real-life person telling his family history.
Some of these broadcasts are only 8 minutes. It's like me quick little trip to a foreign country. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment