Saturday, July 25, 2026

Midsummer Ox Day

Have you ever heard of it?

In 2026, the Midsummer Day of the Ox (Doyo no Ushi no Hi) in Japan is July 26. On this day, people traditionally eat unagi (freshwater eel) to gain stamina and survive the intense summer heat.


Many times I went to the "eel restaurant" with some Japanese friends.  They were shocked that I liked eel.  But I imagine it all depends on how it is prepared.  I think these are grilled with a sweet and salty soy sauce-based "tare" glaze.

At this particular eel restaurant, near where we met for English & Bible class, we often saw yakuza (similar to the Japanese mafia), recognizable by their tailored suits, cars, and sunglasses. (We were always safe.) 

One day when we ate there, they were having some sort of campaign and giving away a mug to customers. (This is a very common practice.) The ladies gave the mug to me. 




And to this day I use it every day! It holds my toothbrush & toothpaste. 

I love the texture, and the sheep, which remind me of our Good Shepherd. And it is a reminder to pray for those particular ladies to come to know the Shepherd of their souls. 

No comments: