Saturday, June 2, 2012

Choosing Yes or No

My sister told the story of trying to teach the concept of sacrificial giving to 9-year olds.  For every scenario she gave them, they had an "out" that would not require sacrifice.  The service project is scheduled during your favorite TV show?  DVR it. 

Our culture promotes doing what you feel like, because "you deserve it," and you can "have it your way."  And the Church in the West (dare I say it?) does not require or even push us toward saying "no" (to self), serving sacrificially, or giving up our rights and earthly pleasures.   

In Weight Watchers meeting one week, a question was asked about why it's hard.  Various answers were called out, and then I said, "It requires saying, 'No' to yourself, and that's not common in our society."  The response to my answer was about the same as if I had said I live on Mars.

Many years ago, a missionary wrote a little book titled, "Have We No Rights?" It was out of print until last year.  Amazon has it here, but you can also read it for free here (in your choice of six different files or else online).

Although it was written in the context of another place and another time, you'll still find points of application.  You won't agree with every application the author makes, but reading it will sharpen your thoughts on saying, "Yes," to self or choosing to say, "No," to self.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I think this is one reason why people find it difficult to relate to us. Our very lives are challenging to some basic principles that they don't want to admit.