Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Grace Alone

The words came out without thinking, never to be retrieved.

I have books on communicating in love. I have read God's Word on the power of our words.  I have heard sermons on how easily our tongues can bring hurt.   But, in that moment, my tongue was not under control. 

I caused pain to one I love, and that very fact, in turn, caused me pain.  I apologized.  Grace was given; grace received.  But I was sobered by the memory of what I did.

And a few days later, we stood in the congregation, singing along, when my heart was arrested by these words:

Every loving word we say
 
Every tear we wipe away
 
Every sorrow turned to praise
 
Is only by His grace. 
 
Grace alone Which God supplies
 
Strength unknown He will provide
 
Christ in us, our cornerstone
 
We will go  forth in grace alone.

Every loving word we say ... is only by His grace.

Yes, that's it!  All the times when I do get it right, when my tongue is controlled, when my words are loving, it's only by His grace.

And, all the times when I don't get it right, when my tongue isn't controlled, when my words aren't loving, it's only by His grace that I feel the pain of hurting someone else, that I apologize and repent, that grace is given and grace received. 

It's only by His grace!

  
 

No comments: