The post below was originally published in 2009. A few more books I have added are:
Spurgeon's Sermons on Christmas and Easter
Stories Behind the Traditions and Songs of Easter
I'm also on a quest to find children's books for Easter.
Amon's Adventure is part of a popular series which I have not read yet.
Sunrise Hill is probably for mid-elementary ages. (Again, I have not read it.)
Vinegar Boy is one I remember from my childhood.
Please leave a comment if you have suggestions of Easter books for adults or children (especially toddlers). :)
::from the archives::
No Easter displays in the stores
No Easter displays in the Christian bookstores (...because there isn't a Christian bookstore on every corner).
So, how does one prepare to remember the sufferings, death and resurrection of Christ?
Below is a reading list I compiled last year to help warm my heart.
This year I am enjoying a new addition to the list:
Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter,
a collection of readings, drawn from the writings and sermons of 25
classic and contemporary theologians and Bible teachers, focusing on the
wonder of Christ's sacrifice.
And now for last year's list:
Piper's Fifty Reasons Jesus Came to Die,
is a small book with 2-page meditations on each of 50 reasons, each one
based on one to four verses. This one is also available in Japanese
and for free download in English.
Echoes of His Presence,
by Ran Vander Laan, stories of everyday life in Jesus' day,
illustrating the meaning behind much of His teaching, including the
sacraments, and concluding with a section on the last week of Jesus'
life.
Treasuring God in Our Traditions, the chapter on Easter, by Noel Piper
any hymnal
I can find (last year's favorite was the 1942 Church Hymnary published
in London & rescued from a book throwaway pile once)
The Case for Easter, Strobel
Messiah: Calligraphic Word Pictures Inspired by the Music and Text of George Frederick Handel's Messiah, calligraphy accompaniment to Handel's masterpiece, by Timothy Botts
The Cross-Centered Life, C.J. Mahaney
Calvary Road, Hession
What would be on your list?
No comments:
Post a Comment