Thursday, January 3, 2019

December

Where does December go every year?!?!

Thanksgiving 2018 was early, and I'm glad for how that lengthened the holiday season.

We started December by attending a fantastic high school Madrigal dinner/ concert with extended family. 

I think I missed more Sundays of church than I attended ... due to a sick child or a sick me or keeping nursery at my parents' church when we visited.

Although we had our photos for our Christmas card by the first week of November, it wasn't until the midnight hour of December 16th that we actually ordered them (thereby saving almost 66% - procrastination for the win!), and they were in the mail by noon on December 20th *in* the city where all our mail is processed (because I unexpectedly - I think - drove carpool that day), so amazingly many of our cards arrived before Christmas (I think?).

December is health care selection time.  May God be merciful on our decision, is all I can say.  We are dependent on Him.

The silver lining of driving carpool a lot in December is that I could go Christmas shopping, not something I've done much of since becoming a mom, to be honest.  I had fun browsing, seeing what was available, and selecting (what I hope were) thoughtful gifts.  One relative even commented on how I'd really upped my game.  So, that was fun, to get to serve others.

Our Christmas decorating was minimal - but mostly done before December 3rd, when we had an overnight B&B guest - pre-lit tree sans ornaments, large gold and red balls hanging on ribbons in the doorway, a few mini Nativities on the mantle, two stockings hung on either side of the mantle (symbolic, because, though they're one of my favorite childhood ~ and single life ~ memories, we don't do them), a few festive Christmas towels, and a new-this-year display of candles, and colorful glass trees, etc. up on top of a tall bookcase (away from exploring hands).  We really enjoyed the atmosphere in the long evenings of the five battery-lit pillar candles that were on timer. 

Over the years, I've collected a few votive candle holders that I put on the windowsill above my kitchen sink.  This year Little Guy made me a new one at school, and I received one as a favor at a ladies' Christmas tea.  I like that they all say "winter," and not necessarily, "Christmas," so I can enjoy them a month or two longer.

No comments: