Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Worlds colliding

Jim was part of a singles' group decades ago that has morphed into what they refer to as "Friends group."  12-18 remain close. We see each other at funerals.  Two came to our wedding 600 miles away.  All the others came to our local wedding reception.  One family always hosts a Christmas party.  I led a Bible study with 3 of the girls for a couple years.  In the past year, they've started meeting for supper once a month.  Quite amazing!

A few weeks ago, we went to the funeral of one of the ladies, whom I had only seen once.  When I signed the guest book, I saw a few lines above our names, that one couple had written "(Japan)" after their names.  You can bet I made a beeline to find them afterwards!  We know a lot of the same people and they had just visited my Japanese home church a few weeks previously.  They "just so happened" to be in Chicago that weekend, so were able to make it to the funeral of this lady, who was the Japanese missionary wife's college roommate.  I almost felt my head swirling.

This past week, a friend stopped by for a 24-hour visit.  I have known her for 25+ years in her role as counselor for the mission agency I served with.  But she is also related by marriage to my sister-in-law! Her son married my SIL's sister.  What a small world!

Earlier this month I attended a home luncheon as part of our church's missions month.  As I conversed with the missionary to South America, sitting next to me, she asked where I am from, and as soon as I answered, she said, "There's a camp near there that my family went to."  Lo and behold, her parents (and even grandparents) were friends with my great-uncle, who directed that camp for 50+ years. He had even visited them on the field back in the 50s or 60s!  This dear lady's sister had just emailed their whole family the previous day, reminding them that it was my Uncle M's birthday.  My mind was really swirling with that one!

No comments: