Friday, March 13, 2020

Best Ideas for Unplanned Indoor Days with Littles

Yesterday started Little Guy's 11-day spring break.  We cancelled our 6-day trip (via Amtrak) which was going to include lots of crowded places.

Yes, we are enjoying waking up without an alarm clock. 

I read this list online:

Routine including showers and baths and getting out of pajamas
Predictability
Small chunks of homework
Good nutrition
Screen time that is digital vegetables not candy limited to less than 2 hours total
Nature/Field Trips Alone
Movement
Connection
Repeat

I saw workbooks on sale online, but honestly we are not a sit-at-the-table-and-do-workbooks family.  We have plenty of play-doh, slime, and water beads for hours (and days) of sensory activities.  I'm disappointed that I was unable to pick up the pop beads I had on hold (in the city where LG goes to school) before we had to leave town on Wednesday.

We have paint sticks, markers, and crayons (although, see paragraph above about sitting at the table...).

We have lots of flour, sugar, and butter, so there may be two well-practiced chefs by the time this is over. Yum!

This link provides a daily activity based on the "holiday" of the day:  Adventure-a-day Holiday Event Activity Guide.

Little Miss went to Storytime at the Library this week, and the theme was rainbows.  This will be a fun activity for us to do (and easy enough for me!).  

I also foresee hours of puzzles, The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel, Monkey Around, Zingo, Uno, Seek-a-boo, Roll & Play, and (the dreaded for me) Candyland. :)

We will put up the tents, get out the tunnel, use the indoor swings, make obstacle courses, have marching band parades, build forts, and no doubt read books.

What are you going to do? What should we add to our list?

No comments: