I googled that phrase today and now our library holds list is very long! :)
Little Guy is very much into graphic novels. Not only are we trying to offer alternatives to Dog Man and The Investigators, but we are also trying to include "books about Jesus."
When he was little, every night we read 3 books, including "one about Jesus." One of the shelves on our bookcase has "books about Jesus," but we're realizing that they are for younger children.
What "books about Jesus" do 8 year olds read? Well, the obvious answer is (drumroll, please) the Bible! :) He has The Action Bible (graphic novel) in addition to his regular Bible. And I have ordered "Exploring the Bible" for us to do together.
I think at this age the options for "books about Jesus" are not Bible storybooks, but stories of kids his age who apply the Bible in their life situations.
We have read The Imagination Station, Sugar Creek Gang, and Hidden Scrolls, as well as one of the Grandma's Attic books. There are so many good biographies out there (starting with LightKeepers)! I'm not sure he's ready for allegory e.g., Narnia, Wingfeather Saga, etc., although he has enjoyed the Pilgrim's Progress video on Right Now Media.
There are other fiction series we have not explored yet, such as Cooper Kids and Cul-de-sac Kids.
We are open to other recommendations! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment