Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Normalcy

LG is due for his annual speech and language testing in April. We have not yet started scheduling in April yet, but plan to open up evaluation spots soon. Is there a Monday or Wednesday in April that would work best for you for a 9:00 eval? I will plan to administer the CASL- a higher level language assessment since he is older now which will give us an opportunity to probe some different language areas.  {Speech therapist} reported that there are no concerns with his speech at this time so I do not plan on doing a formal speech assessment.

 

At 8 years old, wearing hearing aids seems like old hat.  LG charges them each night.  I am getting experienced at cutting new earmold tubes and attaching them to his hearing aids every 6 months when they arrive at our front door.  When I register him for day camps, I write my little blurb in the "health needs" section & don't think much of it.  He's pretty independent & has great self-advocacy skills. 

Yet I remember (see this post) how new & hard it once seemed.  

And his hearing itinerant (who visits his school twice a month) told me yesterday that he works VERY hard to listen.  She is incredibly impressed with his listening skills, and said, "He must be very fatigued when he gets home after school."

Yesterday I also received an email which included the paragraph at the top of this post.  I read it rather matter of factly, and then stopped short.  

This is amazing!!  To say, "There are no concerns with his speech at this time," deserves celebrating!!  He has worked so hard!  A year ago, we heard disconcerting news about his speech, and immediately said, "Yes, please," to summer Zoom speech therapy, which did the trick.  

Woo-hoo!!  Way to go, LG!!

No comments: