Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Great is Thy Faithfulness

Jim's grandparents (in heaven for over a quarter of a century already) are larger than life in family lore.  I wish I could have met them.  

After they died, the family started having reunions every four years, with each sibling responsible for planning a reunion.  Once every sibling had had their turn, it went to committee. :) 

The committee planned the 2020 2021 2022 reunion.  This introvert (who was not on the committee) is still recovering from the 2-night 3-day reunion with 41 people at a conference center / Bible camp about three hours away.  

The younger set LOVED being together!  We hardly saw our own children, as they were with their cousins (1st, 2nd, or once removed).  :)

The lodge was comfortable, the food seemed better than 10 years ago, and the activities (many activities including boating, archery, beach, & tree swing) were available for us to enjoy.  Others golfed, and some walked the shore path.  The weather was absolutely perfect!

The 80-92 year old brothers' quartet (singing "Face to Face" and "Blessed Assurance") was very meaningful and definitely a highlight! It's possible that some of them may indeed be face to face with Christ their Savior before the next reunion. 

One cousin did a very nice genealogical presentation, including old German Bibles and other realia.  She also did a presentation of her 95-year-old mother's paintings. Different ones brought paintings of hers that are hanging in their home.  And she showed a Shutterfly book of all of her mother's paintings. 

Another cousin had taken a photo of the aunt's painting of the grandparents' farm and someone had made it into a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle, so that was on a table in the meeting room, and people worked on it as they chatted, until it was completed!

At the talent show, two cousins played some piano duets.  A 7 year old sang some songs in Chinese, and a 12 year old played and sang a hymn she has written.  No doubt there were other entries, but I'm not remembering them right now.  Two other farm wives and I didn't get our act together in time to do the requested updated skit of our Farm Wives' Support Club meeting.

On Saturday night, one couple hosted a really fun Newlywed Game.  The wife wore the dress that Jim's Grandma wore to the wedding of her last son to get married!  It was a really fun game, and Jim and I tied for first, amazingly enough!  What do you wish your husband spent more money on?  Were you first attracted to your wife by her appearance, conversation, or desperation?! :)

In the Sunday service, we sang 3 hymns (including O God our Help in Ages Past and Great is Thy Faithfulness), the younger generation read Scripture passages regarding telling the next generation, the cousins' choir sang, "All the Way My Savior Leads Me," and three people each gave a 5-10 minute testimony, with one of Jim's uncles concluding by singing, "Jesus Led Me All the Way."

Someday life's journey will be o'er
And I shall reach that distant shore
I'll sing while ent'ring Heaven's door
Jesus led me all the way

Chorus:
Jesus led me all the way
Led me step by step each day
I will tell the saints and angels
As I lay my burdens down
Jesus led me all the way

Verse 2
If God should let me there review
The winding paths of earth I knew
It would be proven clear and true
Jesus led me all the way (Chorus)

Verse 3
And hither to my Lord has led
Today He guides each step I tread
And soon in Heav'n it will be said
Jesus led me all the way (Chorus)


No comments: