This morning I heard "Beneath the Cross of Jesus," and was transported to an early summer evening in 1994, sitting on a hard pew in a crowded chapel in the short hills of East Tennessee. I wrote about singing it at my great-uncle's funeral here.
That led Jim and me to reminisce about the time his dad and three uncles sang, "Face to Face" at family reunion last summer. I pulled up the video and we listened to it while driving to church, with tears streaming down my face.
I walked into Sunday School, and the leader was playing old hymns on the piano, as people gathered. That launched a conversation with the lady next to me about hymns, and she mentioned, "Victory in Jesus," and I instantly recalled my own father's funeral, when that was one of the congregational hymns, and "the congregational singing was loud, joyful, victorious, and harmonious!"
"He Leadeth Me" always takes me back to Manza & a short-term missionary retreat. (More here.)
"Let Us Love & Sing & Wonder" always takes me back to a lecture room on the UVA campus. (More here.)
In our worship service this morning, we sang, "How Sweet & Aweful is the Place," a hymn I always associate with a Sunday evening service at a small supporting church in Johnson City, TN, with two ministers who are now in other states.
Most of the hymns in my top ten list have memories associated with them. (Links found here.)
And "Years I spent in vanity and pride" is only & always associated with summer Sunday evening services in my home church, with music led by Mr. Ramsey.
Do you have strong memories associated with certain hymns?
No comments:
Post a Comment